In this article:
- How does this update improve routing?
- Which Trimble MAPS products and versions include sublocal data?
Two road classes have recently been added to Trimble MAPS data. Combined with recent improvements to our routing algorithm, these new classes provide better last-mile routing and more precise ETAs. The classes are:
- Sublocal: Roads accessible by vehicles but not suitable for through-routes, including alleys, driveways, parking lots and service roads.
- Pathways: These are accessible to pedestrians, bicycles, and small, lightweight motorized vehicles. These paths are not accessible by automobiles, trucks, buses or motorcycles, except possibly in emergencies or for maintenance purposes.
How does this update improve routing?
These new, lower road classes can help our routing algorithm:
- Avoid inappropriate roads for large trucks, especially during the final mile of routing to a delivery or pickup location.
- Find a more direct route as long as sublocal roads and pathways are safe and legal for the type of vehicle being driven.
- More quickly get to higher class roads where traffic moves faster.
- More strongly avoid sublocal roads and pathways labeled as “no through traffic,” unless a stop is located on them.
CoPilot takes the more direct route using the sublocal road network as both stops are within the same connected sublocal network.
CoPilot avoids using sublocal roads as a cut through and now prioritizes leaving the sublocal parking lot network to get back to the local and secondary roads.
CoPilot stays within the sublocal network within the school site, instead of exiting the site just to re-enter on the other side.
Which Trimble MAPS products and versions include sublocal data?
Sublocal roads are available automatically—no additional settings are needed—if you are using the products and map data versions below:
- CoPilot: Requires CoPilot 10.19 and higher with 2020Q2 or more recent map data in North America, or 2020Q4 or more recent map data in Europe. Read more about CoPilot downloads from the Professional Portal.
- PC*MILER installed: Requires PC*MILER 34 or higher.
- PC*MILER Web: The Report Data Version under Reporting Preferences must be set to Current (the default setting) or PC*MILER 34 or higher.
- PC*MILER Web Services: The dataVersion parameter must be set to Current (the default setting) or PC*MILER 34 or higher.
- DirectRoute: Requires PC*MILER 34 or higher.
- DRTrack: Uses Current data, which includes sublocal roads.