When using the HOS Manager, please note the following:
- PC*MILER may select and insert rest stops that occur along a route up to one hour before the HOS requirement would go into effect, to avoid violations due to traffic or another unforeseen event. For example, if a driver is scheduled for a stop at 3:00, PC*MILER would in most cases favor a stop at 2:10 versus one estimated to occur at 2:50.
- Remember, the hours that PC*MILER returns for a trip are estimates that may not reflect a variety of factors that can influence driving times. When you are manually inserting an HOS stop (either editing a stop returned by the HOS Manager, or inserting a stop into a route without using the Manager), the drive time that appears on the pick list when “HOS Stop” is selected from the stop type list in the route window may vary slightly from the time calculated when the trip was run.
- When changing an HOS rest stop, all POIs other than rest stops will be temporarily disabled – i.e. they won’t be visible on the map in the areas surrounding the route.
- If all stops on a route are outside the United States, the HOS Manager will be disabled.
- If you delete an HOS stop, PC*MILER will rerun the route and insert the original stop recommendations. To delete all HOS stops, uncheck Insert HOS Driver Breaks in the HOS Manager.
- When a route is saved that includes rest stops inserted by the HOS Manager, the rest stops will be saved but any custom settings in the Manager under Available Driving Hours and Available Duty Hours won’t be saved along with the route. In other words, when the saved route is open, the HOS stops will be there but if you open the HOS Manager you’ll see the default available hours (8, 11 and 14 hours).
Summary of HOS Rules
The table below summarizes the U.S. government’s Hours of Service regulations that have been incorporated into PC*MILER’s HOS functionality: