On Sept. 17, 2023, Wales will become the first nation in the United Kingdom to adopt 20 mph as the default speed limit on roads in more populated areas such as villages and town centers.
We are currently planning updates to our map data for CoPilot and other Trimble Maps applications to reflect these new speed limits. However, those updates are not expected to be released until the first week of October as we work with our Europe data provider to accurately implement this large-scale, nationwide change.
How will the speed limits be released?
The new speed limits will be part of our Q3 2023 quarterly release of Europe map data.
How can customers get the new data?
The new data will first be made available in CoPilot navigation, followed by other Trimble Maps applications. See below for more information about how to access new data, by product.
What can you do to help drivers obey speed limits?
The new law reduces the speed limit to 20 mph from 30 mph in "restricted" areas, which are defined as areas with lampposts not more than 200 yards apart.
CoPilot has a number of speed limit warning features that can help drivers better pay attention to their speed. In this case, you might want to:
- Set CoPilot to show a speed warning in the navigation screen.
- Set Warning when exceeding speed limit by: to 5 mph, the lowest setting. For example, if a road has a speed limit of 30 mph in the current map data, the driver receives a warning at 35 mph. (This would change to 25 mph, once the data is updated to reflect the new 20 mph law.)
Please contact us with question about this change or how to update your map data when new data is available.
How to Access the Most Current Data
Data is updated once a year with the new version release. It includes all of the map updates made between versions.
PC*MILER Web and Web Services
Updates are automatically available upon release. To access:
- Web—In the Routes panel, mark the Route Options > Reporting Preferences > Report Data Version field with Current. (Current is the default)
- Web Services—Mark the dataVersion field with Current. (Current is the default)
- App Store Customers—You will be notified to download updates through the app.
- Enterprise Customers (Indirect)—Contact the partner who sold you CoPilot to be sure you have the latest app version and data.
- Enterprise Customers (Direct) and Integration Partners—Updates can be downloaded over the air (Wi-Fi or cellular data) via the CoPilot app, over the air via API, or directly from our partner portal.
MileOn by PC*MILER
You will be notified to download updates through the app.
You will be notified via email when updates are available.